Friday, June 8, 2012

The Rub

I have poison ivy again. It's from weeding in the garden this time. Annoying! And itchy! I thought I was being so careful - there were gloves and a serious round of washing afterwards. At least I know what it is this time. And it's contained to one area. I really should have let someone else pull it out - next time, I will.

I was nervous when I was doing it - not just because it was poison ivy, but I was uneasy about how I had to reach into the pachysandra to pull it (there's snakes in there - at least there have been - I think it was cool enough last weekend to be safe). Anyway, mid-pull, a little rabbit darted out (we have so many this year - another excuse for lagging on the vegetable garden), and of course, I thought the stirring was something much scarier at first.

Speaking of animals, there is one serious trouble-making deer this year in the neighborhood. He's a young guy and doesn't have typical deer taste -  he's nibbling all sorts of things that are supposed to be resistant - honeysuckle, astilbe, mint and the butterfly bushes. At least he hasn't figured out how to hop the fence just yet. We've got a hydrangea and strawberries in there, which I wouldn't dare put out in the main part of the garden. So far, so good...

No comments:

Post a Comment