Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Bed by bed

Don't get me wrong - one of my favorite things about having a house is having a garden. I love puttering around in it on the weekends and seeing things grow and blossom. It's pretty exciting that the hosta is holding up so well against our four legged friends this year.

Hosta

Sure, there's a few nibbled corners, but look at those flowers!

I have to say though, there are days when I miss the ease of our little balcony. Things just grew - there were very few weeds and even fewer pests...and a bit more time for relaxing. I could chose what I liked best, without needing to think about much except for the sun exposure. So carefree & manageable! I didn't know what "Deer Out" was let alone know how it smells. Now, I make rounds just about every morning with the stuff to protect the older plantings, and of course, I'm not picking any thing out for the unprotected beds that isn't deer/bunny/ground hog/squirrel/chipmunk/you name it resistant.

It's quite a bit of trial and error still, and I'm still trying to figure out a plan that really works...bed by bed. There's not one I'm really satisfied with, but we're getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment