Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Soundtrack of the moment. Part I: This Must Be the Place

I was out and about the other day, running around with the car, getting a few things done - my first time driving after our last big storm. A couple of miles into it all, I got nervous that I'd forgotten my phone at home. H was travelling, and my mind started to wander. If I get lost here, what would I do?  

Thankfully, the trusty GPS didn't let me down. And when I arrived at the place where I was supposed to be, I found my phone safely lodged in one of the deep corners of my purse. Relief. When I started up the car again, "This Must Be the Place" by the Talking Heads started playing on the radio.

I don't know why, but the Talking Heads always put me into a good mood. Their songs make me feel like I'm in my own little movie....or 8 years old again, sitting in the passenger seat of a big blue truck my family had then, driving down Shattuck Avenue, listening to KFOG. More than anything, this particular song reminds me of how H has been called Gordon Gecko for years at work now (they play this song a few times in the movie, Wall Street), not for his business practices, of course, but because of the hair and the suits...

Anyway, the whole thing made me smile, and, at least for a few minutes, everything felt okay again: slowly, this is starting to feel a little like home here, like where I want to be, but I guess I'm already there...

No comments:

Post a Comment