Friday, February 11, 2011

Ready to be a homeowner already

I woke up this morning to find a charming email from my landlord telling me that I needed to move my car to the lot behind the building next door (where we're renting an extra spot).

The car has been parked there since the beginning of the month. I nearly marched down to his apartment in my pajamas to let him know. Remind him that just last night, he and his ladyfriend saw me schlepping a really heavy bag full of office work, 2 grocery sacks, 2 gallons of cranberry juice, and 4 cartons of orange juice (all in one go - just call me a mule!) from over down yonder, where my car is parked. Didn't they wave? They certainly didn't hop out of their car to open the door for me...

Maybe I'm just sensitive about parking. I know what it's like to not have a spot. And even more about having one and not being able to use it. Parking is pretty precious in Switzerland, and my rightful place got snatched on a pretty regular basis. Trust me, I'm the last person who's going to park my car somewhere it's not supposed to be here...even though I've only seen the lot in front of the apartment filled to capacity once since we've been here (oddly enough, it was full of utility trucks - and I'm pretty sure these guys don't live or work here).

Anyway, I refrained from subjecting our landlord to all my thoughts on the matter (and my uncombed hair) this morning, opting instead for a short, overly polite mail letting him know that the car is exactly where it's supposed to be (kill'em with kindness - if there is one ability I'm confident in, it's this one). Let's see what he says.

Only a few more weeks to go. I promise myself I won't make a scene in the meantime. The landlord is a pretty likable guy after all, and I'm glad he lives here in the building. It's been reassuring to have someone I know close by, especially with H travelling so much. So what if it's the most expensive place we've ever rented (and San Francisco and Switzerland aren't exactly bargain locations), and it's in by far the worst condition of anywhere we've been...

Enough already...I remind myself that all we have to do now is countdown the days to homeownership. It feels good to be ready for it. In 2 1/2 weeks or so, we can walk out this door, hand in the keys and leave this apartment for good. And dear Mr. Landlord, it will be cleaner than it's probably been in years.

No comments:

Post a Comment