Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The ice storm and a few happier thoughts...

I thought it would be prettier. The ice storm. Like sugar-plum fairy territory. Or at least that the trees would look like they did sometimes when I worked above Lausanne - flocked crystal-white, with the cold and the mist. This is just sort of grey and scary. A little like that Ang Lee movie that came out in the late 90s (it never ceases to amaze me how versatile he is).

Ice cold

The darker, drearier side of life out in the suburbs. I worried it would be like that sometimes. And, when we looked at houses, there were plenty of places that gave me the feeling straightaway. Claustrophobic, even though most of the spaces were much bigger than I'm used to. H had a tough time understanding. Having grown up in on the other side of the Atlantic, he just didn't have the same associations. "But did you see the kitchen?" he'd say. "And what about those ceilings in the master bedroom?"

Thankfully we found a house that we both love...one that doesn't give me that stifling feeling when I walk inside...and that H is happy with, too...even though there isn't a '"bells and whistles" kitchen or a fancy master suite. Instead we're going have one of the oldest bank barns in the county and a duck pond...and more lawn than either of us know what to do with...I keep threatening with sheep (like the ones we saw at Navarro) or goats. But that might just attract more wildlife than we are ready for...
Sarah's Babydoll Sheep

Moving on to other happy thoughts, it struck me again yesterday, how friendly everyone is here. It helps. It's a relief. To have people who smile and make small talk...all the time. As much as I loved living in Switzerland and Germany, the cold politeness of it all (and sometimes that's not even there) could get to me after a while.

Here it's just the opposite. Complete strangers, holding the door open...telling you about their day, telling you that there should be more salt on the sidewalks...or explaining that they don't know why the fire trucks have been out there for so long either. Unprovoked friendliness. On a regular basis. And not in a weird sugary-sweet or busy-body kind of way - it's all very matter of fact. The place just seems to have a good old fashioned warm and cozy feeling. It's enough to melt (or at least override) all this crazy ice and snow we've been having.

No comments:

Post a Comment