Sunday, January 23, 2011

Looking forward...

One thing I still haven't found here is a decent loaf of bread. Frustrating! It's one of the cornerstones of our diet...

A dear friend (and fellow bread-lover) suggested I try my hand at making my own, and gave me an interesting tip: Tartine's bread book. I'm officially inspired by this little teaser about it ...

The thing is, it's been years since I've enjoyed baking. Maybe it's because my sixth grade teacher told my mom that my biggest problem was that I don't always follow instructions so well. And she recommended that I start baking. That it would help...I'm not entirely sure her suggestion cured me (maybe ask my husband on this one). But it meant my family enjoyed a few years of chocolate chip cookies, brownies and carrot cake. 

When I started really cooking - a good 7 or so years down the line, I shifted away from desserts. The part I liked best about being in the kitchen was feeling things out, adding bit of this a little of that - whatever was in the fridge or looked good on the shelf when I was at the grocery store (a bit how my mom and grandma cook - maybe a sign that they don't follow directions so well either)...which works pretty well with soups and sauces...and usually not at all when it comes to baking. It's so scientific - the measurements, the temperature, the timing. I just don't have the patience or the precision. Mix the eggs and sugar too soon, and you'll be sorry. You can't just add your own special twist expect it to work.

But this bread thing seems different. A little more like wine making (we spent the last 4 1/2 years living on a vineyard and I did lots of observing - trying not to miss it too much): a mix of the conditions, intuition, rigour, solid ingredients and some luck...

So I'm looking forward to giving breadmaking a try. Probably not until we're in the real house, so it will be a few more weeks. I'll keep you posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment