Thursday, January 13, 2011

Driver re-education

I need to take a written test in order to get a driver’s license here. It makes sense. Quite frankly, I always thought it was a little weird that my license was automatically granted when we moved Switzerland just because I am married to a Swiss citizen. Like somehow, (through osmosis?), I was ready to drive upon arrival. At the time, it had been a while since I’d been in the driver’s seat. Before moving there, we'd been living in Germany, where I would have had to start from scratch to get a license – behind the wheel training and all. As public transportation was so good there, I never bothered.

Anyway, I’m digressing. Here in New Jersey, it seems I just need to take an eye exam and a written test down at the DMV, or rather the MVC (Motor Vehicle Commission), as they call it here…and I have about 47 more days to get it done. Fair enough. So, here I am: reviewing the driver's manual and studying for the written test. It makes me feel like I'm 16 again.

Most of the material is pretty basic driving knowledge: you can only pass another vehicle when there is a dotted yellow line, you’re not allowed to talk on the cell phone without a hands free unit, and you have to pull over to the right if you hear sirens. Nothing too surprising here. 

The manual is pretty dry reading material, but I love the hare and tortoise illustrations they’ve included in Chapter 4 to help you remember how to safely enter and leave the freeway.



I wish I could meet the person who had the idea for these drawings....and also that I felt a little more comfortable getting on and off the highways/turnpikes/freeways here. It doesn't help that H already had a little fender bender entering the turnpike last week (no injuries, just some additional paperwork and hassle).

Here's my absolute favorite bit I’ve learned about driving here: there is a special law about how and when to stop for frozen dessert trucks (N.J.S.A. 39:4-128.4).  It seems to be a pretty important thing, because there’s been a question about it on every sample test I’ve taken.  And you get 4 points on your driving record if you violate the law (as opposed to only 2 points for running a red light).  Don’t worry, New Jersey, I promise to stop for ice cream every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment