Wednesday, January 26, 2011

3 spills later. Missing Gallseife

Another snowy day. Looks like the Nor'easter that was supposed to roll in here tonight came early. This is officially my wintriest winter ever. Brrrr....

H and I were going to pick up the new car this morning, but I chickened out - too much snow and ice. Probably it was a smart move. Woke up with a crazy headache. Again. Think it might be the bed or the moisture in the air, because it happens pretty regularly.

Anyway, got up, stepped in the cats' water bowl...mopped it up, poured some oj, made some toast and coffee...went in for a quick second cup. With lots of milk, because I don't have the measurements down right yet, and the coffee came out way too strong again this morning. Opened the fridge, and proceeded to spill the leftover red wine (that has been in there for days now) all over the pale green carpet. Why does this place have carpet? Why do we have the red wine in the fridge (Was I really going to cook with it)?

No time to ponder (or look up stain treatment options) - I poured some salt on and gave it a quick moment to go to work. Pulled out the vacuum (which didn't seem to like the salt - it put out its best burning smell). Put some dish soap on what was left of the stains, and scrubbed, and scrubbed...and I think it’s going to be okay. Not so sure about the fleece I was wearing. Or my hands (eczema!). But I'm pretty sure the carpet (at least that part of it) is stain-free. And like so many things in this apartment, it's probably cleaner now than it was when we got here.

Third cup of coffee, and things are looking up. Even though I spilled some of it making my way to the table. My third spill before 10am. A good excuse to clean that spot of carpet, too. It was a wise choice not to get out there on wheels this morning. I'm at my uncoordinated best.

Back to the bathroom to check on my fleece - I left it soaking in the sink (which, like the bathtub, doesn't really like to hold water). If only I had some Gallseife here, it would be fine. I think (hope!) there is a bar or two in our boxes. Maybe even in the one that should arrive at the post office any day now.




Oh Gallseife! Best stain soap ever. I always knew it was probably something pretty gross (like beef fat?), but I never really bothered to look it up. It works so well, I figured I wouldn't stop using it anyway. Ran a quick check last week, when I was trying to find out if I could get it on this side of the Atlantic. It turns out it’s made from bile...ox bile usually. Taken from slaughtered animals. That's how wikipedia describes it anyway. Yum.

Yes, I haven't eaten anything that has fur or feathers for the better half of my life, but I'll happily clean the clothes with ox bile any day. At least it's natural. And I hope a bar or two is on the way...

No comments:

Post a Comment