Yesterday, H had a friend over to show him how to do a few handyman type things around the house. The phone line doesn't work anymore now, & they ran out of wire while trying to get a few more lights up in the cellar. Pretty funny! But they had a good time & did manage to get a little more cement down, which will help make our basement just that much drier...
And we had tasty dinner here afterwards to celebrate their hard work. I even baked - something I don't do very often (not so good at the following directions part about it). I made little melty chocolate cakes - really easy, using a favorite recipe from this book - called "Love, Ginger & Comedy" (a neat little cookbook from a small restaurant in Trouville - it's is full of great stories & illustrations, not to mention a good idea or two for creations in the kitchen).

Here is a quick rundown of my adaptation of their petits gâteaux au chocolat coulants:
150 g chocolate (1 1/2 3.5 oz bars, the darker the better & of course, Swiss quality)
100 g butter (a tiny, tiny bit less than a half of a stick of unsalted)
3 eggs
50 g sugar (I'm horrible at metric conversions - I am not even going to try here)
35 g flour
Melt the chocolate & butter together in a pan over boiling water (I forget what this is called in English - can you tell what a baker I am?) until it is smooth. Then in a separate bowl, whisk the eggs & sugar and mix in the flour. Pour in the chocolate & butter mixture. Butter up 4 small(ish) ramekins, fill them about 3/4 full & pop them into an oven of about 420 F for 8 - 10 minutes. When the cakes come out, top them with a small scoop of ice cream –et voilà…
No comments:
Post a Comment