Ten years ago today, H and I moved to Berlin. It was a real leap, one of the biggest I've ever made.
Today, ten years on, I went to New York for a poetry reading and art exhibit to commemorate another big event that happened that same week.
Somehow, in the moment this morning, in getting ready for what I knew would be a long day ahead, the only thing that seemed to matter was what to wear. Yes, very vain of me. No black, too somber, especially for an event with students. Dressy, but, not too...a jacket, definitely (many years in a uniform, and then many more in dress code, I'm a bit scarred, here). Finally, it was the shoes that were the most important. Closed toed (yes, it's still wet and rainy here) and comfortable. Somehow I walked out the door in pearls and pinstripes. How did that happen?
Yes, ten years on, things have changed - not only in the world around me, but in mine.
The other day, someone told me that the upside of being a pessimist is that you are either positively surprised or right.
I'm still hopeful.
No comments:
Post a Comment