Monday, August 1, 2011

Dry

What a weekend we had - cleaning and putting the kitchen back together...washing clothes. And drying them. Yes, the dryer. That's the bit I haven't mentioned in all of this. We were without one for over a month. It's a long story: we got a lemon, and it took a while (and a couple of repairmen and many spare parts & more lengthy follow up calls than I care to talk about) to convince the store & supplier that we needed a replacement. There were 4 weekends in a row at the laundromat and some very frugal towel usage.
Normally, I'm not super dryer dependant, but with the humidity here, you really do need one for sheets and towels and the likes. Especially when you are expecting 5(!) houseguests very soon. Anyway, the new machine came on Saturday, and I went straight to work getting caught up on all the laundry.

Sometime during the second load, the water cut out again. It was early evening. Dinner needed to be made still, dishes washed...we had hours and hours of cleaning ahead to prepare for all the company that's coming...and no water. Dry taps. Everywhere. Again.

All I have to say, is that we're super lucky. Our lovely contractor came to the rescue around 10pm at night and saved the weekend. It was another small electrical problem. A loose screw, nothing more. Problem solved, and we have running water again. And a washer we can use and a dryer that works.

Oh, the dryer: now I wouldn't say I was happy to have all the problems we had with it, only a little bit, it came as a relief. I mean with all the crazy things going on in the world right now, how fortunate are we that one of the biggest worries we've had these past few weeks is that the new dryer didn't work right? Even in the scheme of all the work we've had done...it was a thing, a replaceable thing (actually there are a couple of replaceable things that still need to be fixed, but that's another story for another time)...not a person, not a major problem with the house even...just a bit of metal and plastic. Not really a big deal at all...

Running water, on the other hand - that's a big deal. And, boy, do we ever have a renewed appreciation for that right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment