
Let's just hope that we're actually going to like what we're doing here....the paint colors (or lack thereof), that is. We have so many decisions on our hands with the renovation plans. This part, the paint, was supposed to be fairly straightforward. We decided weeks ago that we would tone down the color in the house...and that white was the way to go, to open it up, see things (the walls, our furniture, the lovely flow between the rooms) better.
But there still were way too many choices...even just for white - there are something like 140 different shades (Benjamin M., I'm a little mad at you for this). How can anyone keep track? We went to this funny little paint shop for help a few weekends back...a small place, with an old dog and a grouchy lady. Let me quickly clarify: she told us that the dog isn't really that old...and someone else told us that the woman was grouchy. I'd say she is rather just very matter of fact, very opinionated. But good with color. And she liked that we were going with white ('more people should do that,' she sighed), that we liked her dog, and that we didn't have a crying baby in tow (like the other woman who was in the store at the same time as us). Together, we sort of agreed on a plan. White Dove for the walls, White for the trim.
Our painters called on Wednesday, to let us know they could squeeze in our dining room before the weekend. So I had to hurry up and make the final paint call yesterday. Alone. H was in Michigan. And the lady with the dog was too far away...so I hopped down to the closest shop I could find. And then I chickened out, or nearly chickened out at the last minute. "Dove White is what most people use for trim," the guy in the paint store told me last night...I had a sinking feeling (and loads of internet research) to back this statement up already.
So I came home with White Dove for the trim, White Linen for the walls. And then about 10pm, the whole White Linen thing started to sound way too Martha S. Which scares me. I've been avoiding her. Okay, I admit it, I did buy the last issue...only for the homemade soap recipe that I'll probably never ever get around to...but, I have, for instance, put off buying wellies for fear of looking like a younger version of her mucking around in our garden here. I wish I could also use this as an excuse as to why I haven't cleaned the oven since we arrived (no baking, not just yet anyway, there are enough other things to do)...
Anyway, back to the paint. I changed my mind, again...went back to the paint store early this morning (braving a wintery mix of rain and snow) to get the originally planned upon combination of White Dove and White. So now we have both combinations, and way more paint than we need. But there are many other rooms to paint, and I think White Linen would be a good choice for the bedrooms upstairs. The color just sounds like it belongs in bedrooms, doesn't it? It's a classic, it should work.

But that will all come later. For now, we have 3 men who are working hard to cover up all the nail holes and the bright cherry red in the dining room...And Alice is supervising, and keeping everyone company. More pictures to follow soon, if it turns out alright, that is...
No comments:
Post a Comment