Monday, May 13, 2013

Tomatoes and herbs

I've been a little lazy in the garden lately (quite the opposite of H., who spends many waking moments digging away)...but I finally found a little time this weekend to put tomatoes into the ground. Here's to hoping the third time will be a charm. I haven't yet had much success with the little raised bed out back (thankfully our CSA subscriptions have made up for that!), but I was determined to try again this year. The bed fared well  through the winter, and the wood chip border H. put in around it last year has helped fend off weeds in a big way. He also found sturdy new metal poles this year to replace the old stakes. It's all so much easier to work with, I'm very tempted to add a second bed already.

Tomatoes

Our local farm stand had plants (among other things...the most tender and tasty little micro-greens, too) this weekend, and I started with just a few tomatoes. The farmer laughed at me when I said I don't think it's warm enough yet for basil (I was right, we we're dipping into the high 30's at night this week). Our herbs (I do these, well -- many years of practice on the balcony) from last year are coming back already, too: there's a pot full of thyme (one of my favourites),that is filling in well and the first little lemon balm leaves are shooting up, too! And we're just a few weeks away from the first CSA delivery if all else fails.

No comments:

Post a Comment