Monday, January 23, 2012

Hang

January has been wildly busy (which explains the lack of posts during the first half of the month among other things), and I've hardly mentioned a thing about our trip back to Switzerland over the holidays. It was fabulous (I feel very lucky).

We had lots of time to visit with friends and family. That was pretty much the agenda (eating, too!). But we did manage to do a few other things, too, like take in some great exhibits while we were there. Basel, H's hometown, has some fabulous museums in and around the city.

The Fondation Beyeler is a favorite.  Not only are the exhibits and the permanent collection amazing, it's the building, the garden, the size (big enough to be impressive, small enough to really take it in)...and mostly the curation that make it a serious highlight.

Strangely enough, though, I wasn't super-excited about the current exhibit (which closes this week) on Surealism. I must have had too much of it in school or something at somepoint. But once, we were there, it won me over and quickly - a very impressive exhibit, set against charcoal grey walls. Even though I know this place well (I could walk through it with my eyes closed, not that I would want to), it was like seeing the museum for the first time again.

Anyway, it was a great day out, and to remember it, we brought home one of the posters from the exhibit. It just came back from the framer here and looks great. H suggested a spot, that I think it just perfect. It lights up what could be our darkest hallway (which is perfect, it's called L'empire des lumières - there are various versions of this, but I particularly like this one, normally in a private collection), and makes me smile.

Hang

No comments:

Post a Comment