Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Almost exactly

And we're off...almost exactly two years to the day after starting our first renovation project upstairs, we're back down to the studs, with work underway on the second floor bathroom. Already, we've had the first surprise, which wasn't much of one really. We'd suspected things wouldn't be quite comme il faut under the floor. Indeed it was the case. The Saturday afternoon errands were interrupted by a call from the contractor. "I need to show you something," he said, "When will you be back?" Sometimes I wonder if all those home improvement shows are out there just to help desensitize people to these few words (or perhaps to equip homeowners with the response, "well, we'll need to cut somewhere else, then!"). One thing is for sure, proper floor support is a good thing, so in it will go! Also, I'm very happy that the project inside this time is isolated to one corner of the house -- having the bathroom, kitchen and laundry torn up all at once isn't something I'd like to do again any time soon.

In the meantime, we're spending most moments at home, outside -- landscaping (bit by bit!) and swimming (much more this year than last!). It's been a very rainy, but beautiful season so far. Having grown up with water shortages, the depth of the green (with very little need to water!), still amazes me...

Waterfall

No comments:

Post a Comment