I know spring doesn't officially start until next week, but it sure feels like it's already here! It's been warm enough for short sleeves all week. The birds are singing, and pond is picking up the noise at night with new insects. Even the air feels (smells!) different.
One thing that feels different here is the lack of all the hyper-seasonal things at the farmers' market: wild dandelion greens & bärlauch (bear garlic?), for example. I've never seen the later in the States, but it's so good.
When we lived abroad, I could never quite understand the expats who flocked to the American and British shops to buy super expensive goods from home. It just didn't make sense. But here I am on the other side of the pond, always scrambling to recreate things from Switzerland. I'm sure a couple of cheese importers are happy we're here.
Hi Jane! We can get what I'm pretty sure is Bärlauch here... It's called ramps or wild leek, although I'm sure you'd spot it if it was at the market! Here a blog post i wrote about it: http://growchew.wordpress.com/2010/05/31/wild-leek-eating-respectfully/. And apparently you could eat the dandelion growing anywhere. I haben't tried the ones fom our lawn yet, but I suspect you'd have to pick them when they're young and tender ( and don't tell Hayo wher they're from!). Happy greetings from Ottawa!
ReplyDelete