Saturday, December 17, 2011

Squirrely

When I think back on this past year, I think - a tough nut to crack. So much change, so many decisions. I'm not complaining (it's been exciting, exhilarating, really), just a little tired around the edges during this final pre-holiday sprint. I keep reminding myself that even in a normal year, this is a hectic time, no matter how simple both H and I try to keep it all.

Squirrely

Anyway, I got this card the other day, and it was one of those moments that just makes it all make sense again. It came from one of my favorite people I've met since arriving here - as a thank you of sorts - and the card was spot on in terms of capturing it all.

I think of many things when I think of squirrels. Among other things, about the one that died in the walls of the old office (which is, at least for the time being, mine now) of the woman who gave me this card. Of course this was a few years back. "It was l'eau d'écureuil for a few weeks there," she told me (thankfully she had a pretty scented candle to mask it). This wasn't supposed to be a morbid story.

There's a squirrel (a live one) who has taken up residence there again. It scared me at first; now I find it sort of comforting, in a strange way (not everyone agrees with me on this point, but never mind!). In any case, I hope he's still there, alive and kicking in the new year to keep me company through the next round - whatever it might bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment